The need for surveillance is gradually increasing all around the world. Almost every work place and organization has started installing security cameras in their premises so that they can monitor the employees. Lately, this has been causing a lot of resentment amongst the employees as they feel that their freedom and rights are getting compromised.
What Do Organizations Have to Say?
All organizations state that having surveillance at offices is mandatory. They say that the security cameras will help to identify the employees who are stealing anything that belongs to the company. In addition to this, organizations are indulging in the ownership of Hikvision cameras because of the advanced features and security offered. Further, they will dissuade the employees from indulging in any wrong activity. It is not important that security cameras always catch the employees doing something wrong. They can also be used to make sure that the employees are working. They provide information on how productive they are being during their working hours in office.
What Do Employees Have to Say?
On the other hand, most employees feel that the presence of video cameras is an inconvenience for them as they feel that they cannot work independently. Most employees complain that their freedom is getting compromised. They understand that the employers have to set up security cameras throughout the establishments for maintaining security, but they object it when private moments get recorded by the camera. Employees completely resent hidden cameras and request the organization to inform the employees about the areas where the security cameras are installed so that they act and behave according to their discretion.
When it comes to the federal law regarding security cameras, here are some things that the employer as well as employee must know:
- Security cameras must not be allowed in washrooms, restrooms and changing rooms.
- Some countries dissuade employers from having a security camera in the lounge area too.
- A security camera can be put only if it records the video and no sound.
- If the security camera is recording sound, then this practice becomes similar to eavesdropping, which is illegal in most countries.
- If you want to record the sound, then consent of the people who are being recorded must be taken.
- If the employers feel that their privacy has been invaded, they have the right to sue the organization.
Security cameras are very essential to save you from harm and therefore care must be taken about its installation in business places and organizations.