Though we’d all rather save our cash, keeping on top of roof maintenance is essential. There are dozens of problems that can arise as a result of neglected roofs which can be costly to resolve. If you’re planning to sell your house in the near future, you’ll need to make sure your roof is well maintained.Buyers might be put off making a purchase if they suspect they’ll have to invest in costly roof repairs.
While the cost of roof restoration in Perth can vary, getting problems resolved quickly will save you some cash in the long run. Problems with roofs can be difficult to spot for the inexperienced, which is why you should have the professionals carry out an inspection on a periodic basis.
Avoid Costly Problems
Problems with your roof can have negative consequences for your whole property. Below, you’ll find some of the most common problems that can arise as a result of poorly maintained roofs.
- Leaks and moisture – If water finds its way through cracks in your roof, the resulting problems can be anything from moisture build up to mould and rot. The last thing you need is a leaking roof, especially during Australia’s wetter periods.
- Ponding water – A build-up of debris on your roof can result in ponding water, which can cause a number of problems including algae growth and moisture. Ponding water can also have negative effects on your gutter system.
- Shrinkage and blistering – This problem occurs when the membrane under your roof tiles contracts and causes your roof to crack. Cracked, broken or loose tiles can be dangerous as well as lead to a multitude of other problems.
- Ventilation – Roofs are often designed to let heat escape while drawing cool air in. If your roof is unable to vent properly, the resulting heat and moisture build up can cause damage to tiles, shingles and rafters. Plus, it likely means your energy bills will be higher than they should be. Problems with ventilation can also lead to mould and mildew growth.
- Pests –If your gutter system isn’t functioning properly, you might be inviting unwanted pests to take refuge which can lead to a number of problems. It’s best to get them off your habitat as soon as you can.
- Poor maintenance – It’s usually a lack of proper maintenance that causes minor problems to escalate out of control. Overhanging trees or blocked gutters can be fixed easily. However, if left alone, small problems are bound to exacerbate.
There are a few tell-tale signs you can look out for to see if your roof is in need of repair, such as cracked tiles, discolouring and algae growth. However, it goes without saying that messing around on your roof is dangerous, not to mention you’re unlikely to be able to carry out a thorough inspection. Given how important your roof is, it’s best to leave the hard work to the experts.